N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I Loved:
ROWAN. MANON. WYVERNS. ROWAN. AEDION. MAGIC. ROWAN. Okay, now that I’ve got the shouting out of the way, we can get down to the review. So you know how I’m always blabbering on about characters and how character-driven stories are my favorite and that all I ask for in life is a complex character arc? Well basically this book was written for me.

First, there’s the progression of the characters I’ve grown to obsessively love from the first two books. Celaena in this book is just heartbreaking because she herself is broken. She struggles between who she was born to be and who she made herself into and who others shaped her to be. She gives in to the lowest forms of her insecurities and becomes buried by them. With her lack of confidence and motivation, Celeana is a very different character than she was before and I think that’s what made me love her even more. There are so many layers to who she is. And Dorian and Chaol grow too. They are faced with terrifying decisions and they both rise to the occasion. I was wary at first of reading a story where the three were separated. In the first two books, they had grown into a unit, one bound by love and loyalty. But I know it was necessary to separate them. I don’t think any one could’ve evolved without that distance.

And then there are all the new characters, all of whom I fell instantly in love with and couldn’t get out of my head. Rowan is tough and unyielding and then you see the softer side, the incredible loyalty and his unfathomable ability to love. Every time he was on the page, it was like a spark straight to my heart. Manon is the most BAMF in the whole damn world. Her story is surprising, full of violence and cunning and something that tastes like redemption. Also, wyverns, who are awesome. Like there’s literally no other way to describe them. And finally Aedion, who makes me ache all over. He has committed atrocities in the name of the king and lost his hope.

This book is everything you want from a book in the middle of the series. It slows down the plot a bit and takes a long look at who these people are and how they got here and sets them on the path to where they’re going. If you think you loved the first two books, I’m warning you now that your heart will grow like the Grinch’s until it explodes from your chest.

What Left Me Wanting More:
Only that ending because HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO LIVE NOW?!

The Final Verdict:
I suspect Sarah might be an ironteeth witch because I’m pretty sure she tore out my heart with all the feels.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 6 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account