Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
We all know the Red Queen is evil.But what is behind all that rage? To top it off, why do men risk their lives and die for just one bite of her famous baked goods?

There is so much to say about Heartless! I was fortunate enough to read this on the wave to Comic Con and I just didn't want to let the characters go! Marisa Meyer, as always finds the right balance between retelling a familar fairytale and creating a unique, sophisticated original story.

The story centers on Catherine and her frustration and anger at the world around her. All she wants to do is bake and become independent, but it seems that is not what the world has planned out for her. Catherine is strong, yet vulnerable, intelligent but also naive at times. She is a relatable character in every sense of the word. Hats off to Meyer for making a character we grew up hating into a character where we can glimpse just a tiny part of ourselves.

Jest, the court joker, adds a bit a balance to Catherine's growing anger. He is that tiny voice of truth- or maybe it is just smoke and mirrors? Is anything what it truly seems in the world of Wonderland? Overall, while I found myself really wanting Catherine to get her happy ending (and prevent the Red Queen from coming to be) my favorite character is Jest. If there is any character I would love to get inside their head- it is Jest. He adds a depth and mystique to the entire story that made me want to turn just one more page. (This lead to lots of hours of lost sleep- but so worth it!)

What I loved best?

The ending. While I am sad that this is a stand alone, it is great to finish a book and feel like it is everything you hoped it would be. Hopefully Marissa Meyer will have even more retellings in the future. She is a master at the craft.
(Side note: The descriptions of Catherine's pastries and baked goods made my mouth water. It didn't help that my sister is a baker and I wanted her to make everything the moment I read it. Your mouth will water and you will get a very strong sweet tooth. It made this book stand out in a very unique way and I absolutely loved every moment!)

Fans of Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles, retellings with a twist, and just great books must put Heartless at the top of their TBR!
Good Points
Great world building
Suspense
Mouth Watering Descriptions
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account