Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Greta is possibly one of the best female main characters ever. ‘Cause you know what? She’s got guts. She’s got personality. And she kicks some serious butt. Being the only human (that she’s aware of) in an inhuman world, she gives up most of what makes her different; retaining a few spare aspects, her speech patterns for instance. She becomes a bounty hunter, not only because she needs to earn a living, but also, it seems, because she needs a sense of purpose. She needs a solid goal set before her to get her from week to week, to save her from the loneliness, because it’s hard to make friends when one mistake could get you killed.

Then there’s Isaac, the goblin king. This is one misunderstood guy. On one hand you have the super hunky love-interest. On the other you have a goblin who could very well be the villain, and Greta doesn’t know which is which. This is okay, because you don’t know who he really is either.

The only real complaint I have about this book is that it contains a slight love triangle – and you see it coming. This causes a couple pages of acute dread before you realize that something has happened beyond your wildest dreams. This has actually been done right. It feels real, like this girl is sincerely trying to figure out what she wants out of life, not just who she thinks likes her more. In a way, it’s also a choice between two worlds, two realities, not just two guys.

So I can’t really complain about that after all.

Chloe Jacobs has a very clear and precise writing style with excellent use of description when necessary without bogging down the fight scenes with it. All of the characters have a personality and a background, even if you don’t know what it is, and that shines out through their words and actions.

All and all this is a really good book that anyone who likes a little romance with their action, or a lot of action with their romance, or even just likes to hear about goblins having the living daylights kicked out of them, should enjoy immensely.

I know I did.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account