Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Why I Loved It: As many reviews will do, *I am sure* I shall do this in a list format of all the awesome things about the book as a tribute to the awesomeness of the book.

1. Hysterical. The book was incredibly endearing and laugh out loud kind of funny all throughout the book. Moments that were kinda depressing always had a spot of comic relief. I love funny and cute contemporary books, and this is definitely of that variety.

2. Awesome MC. Mallory could have been someone I went to school with. She would be one of the stranger ones perhaps. However, she had real issues and the whole swearing off technology thing and going strictly vintage 1960's? Come on. Many dramatic girls throughout time have pulled stunts as crazy. I mean I probably would went down a similar path if my boyfriend had cheated on my via the world wide web. Her best friend is her younger sister. Considering that my bff is my little sister, I can totally relate to that relationship. It's not something that is super existant in the world of YA. It was a bit refreshing.

3. Oliver. He seemed to be pretty attractive in the book. Though I am still not sure about it. I mean he did some strange things. But maybe that is part of his charm? I am not sure, but he made the story better as most second halves of the romances do.

4. Family. Mallory's is dysfunctional. And I did have some urges to yell at her mother at times. But Mallory's relationship with her grandmother was a pretty awesome part of the story. Mallory is constantly trying to explore what it meant to be a teenager in the 60's which means pestering her grandmother with questions that she didn't really want to answer. That relationship leads to what really made what would be a "light and fluffy" read much less fluffy and much more substantial.

5. 1960's. My favorite movies were made in those years considering I am an extreme Audrey Hepburn fan. Of course some of my favorites were also the 50's and 70's, but you get the idea. I loved the fashion of that time, but the book also hits on the not so great thing about the time period like gender inequality. It's kind of important that the highs and lows are remembered. And I thought the book covered both nicely.

Who Should Read It: It's an awesome contemporary read. I think it's a must for those contemporary fans. Funny, intelligent, and a bit vintage. Nothing a bit wrong with that.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
March 21, 2013
I've been hearing so many awesome things about Going Vintage. It's such an interesting concept and I'm glad to hear Leavitt pulled it off well :]
1 results - showing 1 - 1