Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Previously published on my blog: http://fictionfervor.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/review-goddess-interrupted-by-aimee-carter/

I was not a fan of the prequel to this book–The Goddess Test. It was a decent read, but there was nothing especially spectacular about it. And for the most part while reading Goddess Interrupted, I felt the same way.

Once again, I had trouble dealing with the modern names in this book. If Aimée Carter had used the original Greek names, I wouldn’t have trouble trying to remember who was who in the beginning of the novel. Eventually I pieced them together though. (Of course, when I finished the book, I felt completely like an idiot when I saw a list of the modern names versus the Greek names. It was definitely a facepalm moment for me.)

I have to admit, the plot and action was upped a little bit in this book. There was no longer any big, huge mystery, I think, but the return of Cronus (or Cronos or Kronos or however you want to spell his name) intrigued me. The war between the Titans and the gods in the beginning of time had always fascinated me, and I was glad that Carter had incorporated this into her take on mythology. I was also pleased that Carter managed to explain more of her take–for example, she explained how the gods and humans were created.

The organization of this book was a little bit … odd. Only half of the book is really spent on trying to save Henry, and the other half is spent on trying to make preparations so that Cronus doesn’t escape. The climax was sort of in the middle of the book. And the book leaves at such a sudden cliffhanger.

I despise Kate. She was decent in the previous novel, but now I’m so frustrated with her for putting up a fit with how Henry is treating her coldly. Come on, the king of the Titans–who can kill immortals, you know–is after you and trying to kill you, and you’re going to whine about how your husband isn’t paying any attention to you? Sure, I understand that I would naturally be a little worried about that, but seriously. My gosh, get your priorities straight, woman.

Kate’s relationship with Henry is unique, I’ll give you that. Usually I read books in which (1) both boy and girl are reluctant to be together, (2) girl is reluctant to be with boy, or (3) boy is reluctant to be with girl so girl tries to have a relationship with boy2. But Henry does do a great job of showing that he loves Kate without flaunting it, I think. And he’s confused with who he loves, I get it, so it’s only natural that he would act distant.

Goddess Interrupted was a disappointment. With the poor characters (especially the protagonist), I felt like the bad aspects distracted me from enjoying the plot of the book. I’m hoping that Aimée Carter might be able to redeem herself in the sequel.

Source: Galley received from publisher for review
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account