Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I loved the story THE GODDESS TEST. The whole twist of the myth of Persephone and Hades fascinated me. I loved Kate and Henry and how a modern day girl could end up with a God. There's great romance along with Greek mythology. What's not to love?

In the second book, Kate comes back after being with James--Hermes--in Greece. She finds Henry standoffish. She's worried if she had indeed made a huge mistake. It seems as if Henry--Hades--still isn't over Persephone leaving him. Kate feels she'll never be like her. Then Henry disappears and Kate goes out to find him.

What worked for me in this sequel is the love story between Henry and Kate. She has so many misgivings and insecurities over their relationship. I mean, who wouldn't if you feel you have to compete with a former goddess? The beginning of the story was a tad bit slow but did build up when James and Ava--Aphrodite--go with Kate to find Henry. Calliope--Hera--is just as nasty as ever. She hates Kate and wants to destroy her. Cronus is mysterious and also very powerful. I feel there's more to him than what was revealed in this book. I can't help but think this issue will be addressed more in the next book in this series.

The Underworld isn't shown in total dark strokes but is more mysterious. The other gods and goddesses aren't shown that much as this really is Kate and Henry's story. That works for me as I feel too much would deflect from the story.

Good writing helps move the reader through the underworld as Kate tries to not only help find Henry but confront her own fears. Seems that even becoming a goddess is no guarantee of happiness. The chemistry between Kate and Henry brews slowly and doesn't erupt like some other YA romances out there. I liked that the gods, especially Henry, are shown with weaknesses that makes them easier to relate with.

There's a huge OMG revelation at the very end of this book that I didn't see coming. Can't wait to read the third book in this series.

Also check out the ebook novella THE GODDESS HUNT that takes place before this book in Greece.
Good Points
1. Total wow revelation at the end of the story
2. Like the twist on Greek mythology
3. Likable characters who aren't one dimensional
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account