Review Detail

Nice Overview
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

N/A
Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Giving Thanks: How Thanksgiving Became a Holiday is a great narrative of just that - How Thanksgiving Became on Holiday.
I rather enjoyed that fact that there no mention of Pilgrims or Native Americans. The focus of this story was on Sarah Hale and President Lincoln.
I'm unsure on the accuracy of the "facts" in this story, as I was taught that Thanksgiving was first proclaimed a holiday in 1789 by George Washington (on Thursday, November 26th) and that Abraham Lincoln declared Thanksgiving to fall on the last Thursday of November (a rolling holiday) in 1863.

There is a not so graphic mention of the civil war, and the author introduces the phrase "thank you" in a few different languages. The book is written in a way that while may not be entirely memorable, it does open doors for children to learn about other things; different languages and cultures, the civil war, presidents, etc. I appreciate that there isn't a specific mention towards any one religion, this really helps make the book more inclusive.

The illustrations are beautifully done. They show a diverse people and backgrounds, as well as time periods.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account