N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I Loved:
Ever since I saw Divergent in theaters, I've wanted to get back into this world. Four is my favorite character of the series, so I was excited at the chance to explore his backstory.

With the first story, we begin to understand just how hard Four's life was before becoming Dauntless. Four not only suffers physical abuse at the hands of his father, but he is also estranged from his entire faction. Lonely, desperate, and at his breaking point, he makes a choice in the Choosing Ceremony that changes his whole life.

Each novella blends seamlessly into the next, so they read as one entire story. Each novella represents a layer of Four's character and as he tells each story, you see how he grows into the person Tris meets in Divergent. He struggles against every aspect of himself, trying to figure out who he is and who he wants to become. He isn't just a transfer or an initiate or a son or a traitor; he's all of these things and all of his choices. Four is an incredible character.

What Left Me Wanting More:
After finishing the book, I was left with the feeling that it wasn't entirely necessary. I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about Four and it certainly added an extra depth to the Divergent story, but I don't believe I would've liked the series any less without these novellas.

The Final Verdict:
Fans of the Divergent series won't want to miss out on these companion stories that give a greater look into the choices that made Four the character many have grown to love.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account