Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I'm totally loving this latest crop of YA anthologies. It's like my former UCI writing professor once told us, "Anthologies are perfect for busy people who love to read but don't have time for a novel. It's the best of both worlds."

I totally agree.

FORETOLD is no exception. Carrie Ryan is the editor behind this collection of short stories by YA authors that touch on the premise of prophecy and predictions. In this collection, destiny, is shown in different but yet equally satisfying ways.

Here's a little taste of what's in this collection:

Carrie Ryan's 'The Killing Garden' is about a girl who takes over her father's position of gardener and killer. That is until one prisoner melts her frozen heart. **This short story is one of my favorites of this anthology. Ryan has a way of digging deep inside her characters, showing readers the struggles/conflicts they go through. I seriously think this would be a great novel!

Simone Elkeles' 'Fate' about a loner who ends up in a beat-up RV and the very talkative girl who wins his heart. **Elkeles once again shows why she's the Queen of chemistry!

Kami Garcia's 'Improbable Futures' about a teen fortune teller at a cheap carnival who's futures actually do come true in unexpected ways.

Heather Brewer's 'Misery' shows how a gift can indeed be more colorful than expected.

Meg Cabot's 'Out of the Blue' shows her humor as she shows the after effects of an alien prophecy told from the POVs of the teens involved.

Lisa McMann's 'The Angriest Man' is a beautifully written short tale of the hungry behind finding someone.

That's just a little of what to expect in this collection. There's sure to be a story for just about everyone.

Highly recommended!
Good Points
1. Great collection of short stories
2. Love the paranormal premise behind the stories
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account