N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
"It's going to get worse before it gets better."

The first word that comes to my mind when I think of this book? CREEPTASTIC! (creepy (in a good way) + fantastic = creeptastic)

Oh yeah and I *hearts* Gabriel! SO.HARD.

Lauren DeStefano gives us another beautifully written story in this sequel that picks up right where WITHER left off. Rhine and Gabriel have managed to escape from their prison-like life in the mansion only to find themselves caught up in another one when they stumble into a dark carnival. Filled with dancing girls, spinning horses and one haunting Ferris wheel, this is no playground and it's run by a Madam whose as sinister as Vaughn. (As far as I'm concerned, nothing good can ever come of a Ferris wheel which is why I avoid them at all costs. *shivers*) When Rhine discovers what the Madame has in store for her, she and Gabriel must flee again but this time they're not alone.

Along the way they meet new people, some nice, some - not so much, all the while Rhine is constantly searching for her twin, Rowan. There never seems to be any rest for these two and they're constantly plagued with something whether it's an injury, fear that Vaughn will find them or creepy nightmares that make it hard to distinguish dream from reality. Rhine and Gabriel care very deeply for one another and my heart was aching for them to be able to find some kind of peace. On several occasions, Rhine questions whether her decision to leave Linden and the mansion was the best one or her or Gabriel.

Speaking of Gabriel, this journey of theirs changes him, both of them really but he's no longer content to play the subdued house servant. He's...well, he's all kinds of AWESOMESAUCE. ALL.KINDS. (you'll just have to read it to see what I mean.)

The theme throughout this book is "things will get worse before they'll get better" and that means there's still hope. Still hope to find Rowan, still hope to find a cure for the virus, still hope to get back all that's been lost.

I can't wait to see how it all ends!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account