Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Told from a unique point of view, Falling Into Place is the story of Liz Emerson, the most popular junior in her high school, and the reasons why she decided to run her Mercedes off the road. It’s about actions and consequences, and yes, Newton’s Laws.

This book ended up being so much more than I was expecting. Liz could have easily come off as impossible to sympathize with considering she was not a nice person, but instead I found myself caring about her and wanting someone to notice all her pain. Her two best friends were also easy to sympathize with, even though they could be just as horrible as Liz. They could be a terrifying trio of bullies willing to wreck lives, but they were also dealing with a lot on their own.

The book really got into the issue of bullying, both intentional and unintentional bullying, and the consequences it can have on everyone.

The narrator was so perfect. It was very non-linear but never confusing. The story would jump from person to person, or from the present to the past, so we got a complete sense of what led up to Liz’s actions and the reasons for the reactions of others.

The writing was really beautiful. Simple, effective, and almost poetic. It makes me very excited to see future books from Amy Zhang. I do wish the ending had been a little more dragged out, it felt a little abrupt, but it didn’t ruin the story.

This book probably isn’t for everyone. If you don’t enjoy unconventional narration or dark subject matter, it might not be for you. If you do, mark your calendar.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account