Review Detail

3.7 5
Young Adult Fiction 341
Loved the first in the trilogy. This one? Not so much.
(Updated: October 28, 2012)
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I fell in love with Nevermore, and for two whole years I waited for the release of Enshadowed so I can continue on from the terrifying cliffhanger that Nevermore left off on. Sad to say, I was very much disappointed by the second installment in the Nevermore trilogy. I was hoping for a lot of things, and this definitely wasn't it.

The story began with an amazing narrative of Edgar Allen Poe's death that immediately had me sold. I loved every moment of the prologue. Unfortunately, the story continued on with a good half of it centered around Isobel moping about her loss of Varen. So basically, a good 200 of its 429 pages had Isobel in her room, feeling empty and sad and getting absolutely nothing done. Yes, I understand that Varen's gone and you're devastated. I feel absolutely broken up because he's gone, too, but you can at least do something to try getting him back. When things started picking up, things went from a turtle pace to something the speed of a zipping bullet. At first I was like, Yay, something's actually happening, but then I felt all like, Wait, what happened just then? Simply, it went too fast for me to actually catch on to the big events.

The setting was similar. I loved the general creepiness of it, but sometimes I couldn't catch where on Earth Isobel was, and a bit more of a description would've made it much easier for me to see the scene and get immersed into the storyline. Nevertheless, even though the description of the physical setting I found sorely lacking, the general atmosphere was amazing, and let shivers creep up my arm.

Isobel, like I said earlier, pretty much spent the majority of the book being mopey. 'Nuff said. Reading about Isobel was like watching the same thing over and over again, waiting for the progress that never came. She was a bit too attached to Gwen, like she'd lose her purpose in life if she ceased communicating with her.

Gwen, the ever-so-supportive BFF was a much better character than Isobel. Yes, she's a bit eccentric, but she's bold and pushed Isobel along. But what happened to her in the end? She's just like, POOF! Brad, ex-boyfriend to Isobel made a brief reappearance. Although I'm generally not a huge fan of ex's, but I'd like to know more what happened to him while he was gone. Pinfeathers was a bit like Warner in Shatter Me. In case you have no idea who on Earth Warner is, in Shatter Me he's the antagonist, but he has this entire backstory to him that makes you just sympathize with him. Pinfeathers, to me, is just like that. He's supposed to be a bad-guy, I guess, but then again I really don't know. I couldn't tell what his motive was, nor what the heck he is. He was possibly my favourite character in the whole story because of his nature. He's in that grey spot between good and bad.

Overall, I have to say I am sorely disappointed in the outcome of Enshadowed as a whole. If you just want to read the book and see what happens, beware, there's a crazy huge cliffhanger in the end. Generally, I'd not recommend it, but if you want to end off the Nevermore trilogy, I'd say read it, get over it, and go focus on something else.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account