Time Travel x Swoony Romance
(Updated: December 29, 2022)
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
EMMIE AND THE TUDOR KING by Natalie Murray kicks off the Hearts and Crowns Series with a bang when Emmie, a 21st-century teenager, acquires a mysterious ring in a yard sale that transports her to 16th-century England. On arrival, she’s stripped of the jewelry, making her stranded until she can get it back, but by the time she does, parts of Tudor England have started worming their way into her heart, including the very dashing King Nick. Emmie straddles the two time periods as best as she can until it becomes clear she has to make a choice: give up her family, old friends, and future college aspirations, or give up the love of a lifetime and the possibility of changing the course of a very grim and bloody history.

This book is everything I could ever hope to read: swoony romance, historical fiction, time travel, mystery, court intrigue, shifting allegiances, and then some. I couldn’t sleep or really do anything else once I picked it up as I had to know what happened next. Ironically, I accidentally read this series out of order, starting with the third book, and even with knowing where the story goes, I still was surprised by all the twists and turns. This series is so well plotted and executed that it made me appreciate what I’d already read so much more, particularly in recognizing all the seeds Murray plants in book one.

Overall, I love seeing how Nick grapples with his initial feelings for Emmie and then with her secret. Similarly, seeing how Emmie navigates the clutches of court life and her present-day home is both terrifying and heartbreaking. I really felt for Emmie’s mom and friends, who had no idea what was going on, and more than anything missed Emmie in their lives. With each tough decision Emmie has to make, I physically felt the difficulty in the impossible choices ahead of her. That being said, I really like that it’s her heart and pure intentions that continue to guide her, even when she's impulsive.

To date, EMMIE AND THE TUDOR KING is one of my favorite series I’ve ever read. I really like how Murray balances giving the characters agency while also remaining true to the time. She is a masterful storyteller, so much so that this book should appeal even to those who aren’t typically fans of this genre.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account