N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I Liked:
The Hybrid Chronicles is one of those series that defies categorization. It is actually dystopian, but, aside from that, what is it? These books aren't particularly romantic. They're set in our world, but not. The locations are the same, the technology is similar, and the government isn't incredibly far off. However, in this world, everyone is born with two souls residing inside one body. I am just as charmed and awed by this concept now as I was in the first book.

In Echoes of Us, the possibility of no longer being a hybrid comes front and center. This part was, for me, the most emotional aspect. Though there's a lot of awkwardness in sharing a body, especially when both Addie and Eva have love interests, that's all they know. Sure, I wouldn't choose to share my body, even with my best friend, but if that's how things have always been? Losing your other soul would be like losing a sibling and part of yourself all at once.

In Echoes of Us, Zhang also does a really great job exploring the political landscape. While remaining a bit hopeful, the book doesn't shy away from harsh realities like propaganda and manipulation. I think that often, it's books like this one, which aren't explicitly about our current political realities, that manage to reflect on the real world more than those that are overt. What really struck me was how many people had to die for the media and the public to take interest in the Hybrid cause. It's tragic because that's not something dreamed up in fiction, as recent political events have shown.

What Left Me Wanting More:
The overall plot, as has been the case with the other books, lacks forward propulsion. Things happen, but, by its own nature, there's really no sense of the the overall plot arc. Eva and Addie don't know what's going to happen and they're drifting, trying to survive and keep their friends alive too. On top of that, I really don't care about or remember most of the characters. These two factors combine to make Echoes of Us sometimes a bit of a struggle to get through.

While I do like Eva a lot as a character, I'm really not invested in anyone else. Even with Eva, I probably wouldn't be too sad if she died. She's most interesting and I admire her idealism and determination, but even she isn't precisely real to me. I've spent three books with these characters and I still don't know who some of the significant secondary characters are. Everything's always focused on what's happening, and there's little evidence of personality outside of the hybrid cause.

The Final Verdict:
I recommend The Hybrid Chronicles to readers who don't mind a slow pace and love high concept reads. Personally, I'm excited to see what Kat Zhang will do next, and I hope that there will be a bit more emphasis on characterization.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account