N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I Loved:
From the beginning, this dystopian series has stood out to me as one centered on character rather than action (not that there isn't plenty of action and exciting scenes!). Yes, Eva and Addie are fighting against widespread mistreatment, propaganda, and discrimination. But more importantly, they're fighting against their own demons and struggling to figure out what it means to be hybrid.

Eva grows so much over the course of the series. From the first moment she takes control of her and Addie's body, Eva begins to stand up for herself. Sometimes she makes mistakes, but she grows into her own voice and is finally being heard. Addie has to get used to sharing control of their body and not forgetting to let her own opinions and ideas be heard too. It's all about the balance and while I know they will still argue and make up, I also know that their bond as sisters will only grow stronger.

Perhaps the most disturbing aspect of the novel is the glimpse into one of the hybrid institutions. The children there are so poorly treated that every scene inside the institution is heartbreaking. Addie and Eva finally understand what they're up against and who they're fighting for.

What Left Me Wanting More:
The ending wrapped up a bit too neatly for me to feel that it was realistic to the world in which the story takes place. There's obviously still a lot of work to be done, but it felt a bit unrealistic how certain things wrapped up (I don't want to get too spoiler-y!).

The Final Verdict:
ECHOES OF US is a fitting conclusion to a beautifully written series about standing up for what you believe in and learning how to find your voice.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account