Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
There are not enough words, nor enough space, to tell you just how much I adored Julie Murphy’s Dumplin’. Not only is this book oozing with body positivity, it also oozes with originality, witty dialogue, and romance. This book is the whole package.

When Willowdean Dickson decides to enter the Clover City Miss Teen Blue Bonnet beauty pageant, she has no idea the ripple effect her entry will cause. She just wants to honor her Aunt’s memory, and prove a point. During the course of the contest, however, she does so much more. Like get her first kiss, fall in love, break up with her best friend, and make some new friends along the way. But here’s the thing - Willowdean doesn’t look like your average beauty contestant. She takes up space and she’s not ashamed of that, she embraces who she is…but she doesn’t quite buy that OTHER people embrace her. All of her.

What transpires is a heartfelt, honest journey of a girl who struggles with fitting in, being bullied, and ultimately loving yourself. Through Murphy’s hilarious prose, we get a glimpse into small-town life and just how much trouble being different can create. Willowdean’s voice is strong and carries her confidence from the page to the reader with ease, and when she struggles to see herself as that wildly bold, creative young woman, the readers are right there with her. I cried, laughed, and found a well-spring of confidence from her story.

One thing I marveled at was the way in which Murphy addressed body image issues. Willowdean is heavy and she makes no apologies for that, which I loved. I love that her personal focus isn't on her weight, or losing weight, or food. No, Willowdean is focused on how she feels, how she makes others feel, and she spends her time worrying about if she’s living her life bravely enough. Can I just take a moment and tell you how refreshing this is? I’ve been hard pressed to find a YA book that doesn’t force the message that being healthy and skinny are mutually inclusive, but Dumplin’ takes into account a whole new level of living life in a balanced and healthy way that isn’t found in many books. YA or otherwise.

Okay, now that my body image academic side has geeked out, I can talk about the other amazing components of this story. Like the fact that Willowdean starts this ripple effect of acceptance in her circle of friends. The relationships were so honest, in part because of the brutally honest internal dialogue that made me stop, set the book down, and stare at a wall to process the insight. Willowdean might just be a wizard.

If you want to laugh, cry, and be inspired to follow your dreams, this book is for you. This book is for everyone.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account