N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by The Fable Fairy

If you read my review for Hex Hall you would know that I was not to ecstatic about the outcome. I had high hopes for it since so many people had blogged about how great it was but the novel fell short for me. Don't get me wrong, it was still a very fun and quick read but was nothing compared to Demonglass. Although, now looking back on my Hex Hall experience, I can say that the first book did provide an excellent foundation for the series.

I was left in complete awe as secrets were being let out of the bag left, right, and centre. The first book felt very predictable to me but that was so not the case with the second. Hawkins shrouded Demonglass in mystery which had me flipping the pages to know more. Yes, there may have been paper-cuts involved. Aspects of the novel that you thought were far from significant turned out to play a somewhat important part of the overall telling of the story.

All the characters are back for round II with a few more thrown in for good measure. Of course, Demonglass would be nothing without Sophie. She is finally starting to come into her own and step up to the plate all while maintaing that sarcastic way of hers. She exudes a quick wit that I find extremely hilarious. Once again, Hawkins had me laughing out loud. 

Like any good writer these days, Hawkins has decided to give us a love triangle. Sophie is not rash with her decisions and sometimes I didn't even know which way her heart was leaning. Hawkins was able to create that torn and confused feeling within the reader that Sophie experiences throughout the majority of the book. Obviously Sophie has more feelings for one than the other, which is generally always the case with real love triangles, but she mostly uses logic to help guide her in her decision making rather than pure emotion. I admire Sophie since she knows what is right and what is wrong and she takes her current situation in perspective when making a choice as to who to choose. 

And what was with that ending? It was as if Hawkins placed a bowl of candy in front of the reader and before they could take one morsael it is snatched away. Demonglass leaves you craving for more. I have no theories as to what will happen in the third installment but one thing is for sure, I will be camping out by my bookstore waiting for it to hit the shelf. 
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account