Review Detail

4.6 3
Young Adult Fiction 252
Action-Packed and Emotionally Charged Sequel!
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Thank you C.J. Redwine for the near heart attack. Seriously, it was awesome.

Three things you should know before reading DECEPTION:

1) People die.

2) It's an excellent sequel!

3) More people die.

Best Case Scenario: You will love this! DECEPTION is the intense follow up to DEFIANCE, offering near non-stop action, suspense and romance as it delivers one swift blow to the feels after the other. Cinematic world-building sucks you right back into the story told from both Rachel and Logan's POV as they fight to survive another trek through the Wasteland. This time they aren't alone and not only are they fighting an invisible enemy who strikes under the shadow of darkness, Rachel and Logan are also fighting internal battles, ones with the potential to do more damage than the Cursed One and the Commander combined.

If Logan is Captain Scenario, Rachel is Queen of Denial because girlfriend does a fantastic job of pretending certain things do not bother her. But I get that, I do. Grief is a major buzzkill and really, where is the fun in dealing with stuff that makes you hurt worse than a switch to the face or threatens to leave you a hollowed out shell? (Been there. Done that. Don't care to go for a visit.) But while Rachel's busy not feeling all her feelings, Logan's trying to take care of her and lead a group of misfit refugees more concerned about who grew up on the wrong side of the trees instead of you know, SURVIVING. (I think Moses had an easier time leading the Israelites out of Egypt.)

Like most bad guys, the things we try so.very.hard to push away eventually catch up to us and when they do, we're faced with a choice. We can either allow them to destroy us or restore us making us stronger than we used to be. The same holds true for Rachel and Logan as their circumstances demand that they face their fears. Does that mean everything is all rainbows and unicorns? Of course not. In fact, if you're C.J. Redwine, it's a great opportunity to make more people pay, with.their.lives. O.O

I can't wait to see what happens next!

Worst Case Scenario: You won't like this. OR the ending will gut you like a fish Willow catches with her bare hands, the tree lover that you are will balk at the insufficient amount of Quinn-time. This is just an educated guess though, based on the primary factors of...okay, I think you get my point.

Final Verdict: Action-packed and emotionally charged, DECEPTION is excellent sequel. DEFIANCE fans will not be disappointed!

Favorite Quote(s): "Maybe that's what love is. Giving others the power to hurt you and trusting that they'll use it to heal you instead."
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account