Review Detail

4.2 8
Steampunk and zombies . . . what more could a girl ask for?
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Dearly, Departed was a delightful read, with alternating perspectives from no less than four characters. Besides, with zombies and steampunk, what more could a girl ask for?

Let's just take a moment to take in the cover. Isn't it wonderful? Even more, every other edition looks amazing. (I think there's up to six separate covers for Dearly, Departed.)

Honestly, I didn't expect the book to have multiple perspectives because the synopsis mainly focused on Nora. Nevertheless, even with all those different character's thoughts thrown in, it still seemed quite clear that the protagonist was Nora. With the numerous perspectives, you always know what's happening in the story, whether it's Nora's experience with the zombie army, or it's with her best friend Pam, back in New Victoria.

In the characters area, however, Nora is not my number one. Generally, I make it a point to like a protagonist more than her male counterpart. Why? Because a story is about the protagonist's achievements, losses, loves, fears, and progression, not about her love life. In this case, however, Nora was just a bit whiny and immature. That didn't make me see her as a young, mature woman. My opinion may have been different if her characteristics changed more than her romantic relationship with Bram.

Dearly, Departed is a truly wonderful story built in a post-apocalyptic steampunk world with just a spark of something more. Besides, zombies? You truly can't ask for more.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account