Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Lift up your anchors and get ready to sail into a swashbuckling tale of pirates, swoons, magic, and the quest to reach the greatest treasure of all!

What I Loved:

First off, I must say that Daughter of the Pirate King is better than what I expected it to be, and my expectations were pretty sky high. This book had me hooked from the very first page and did not let me go. I basically flipped pages non-stop, something I had not done in ages. Honestly, it was amazing.

This book introduces Alosa, a female pirate captain who purposefully gets herself kidnapped in order to find a piece of the map that will lead her to a legendary treasure. This character is fierce, smart, and simply bad-ass. A brilliant pirate who doesn't need anyone's protection for she is the one everyone needs protection OF. It has been a while since I've enjoyed a character as amazing and empowering as hers and I'm sure many will also find her incredible. Definitely adding Alosa to my favorite strong and independent YA heroines list.

Since Alosa finds herself aboard an enemy ship, we get to meet several characters among the crew. Some were nice and others quite terrible (they are pirates after all), but the one who stands out the most is the Captain's first mate, Riden. His wits and personality rivals Alosa's, making it extremely entertaining to read every scene in which they are thrown together. If you enjoy banter, then you will LOVE reading about Riden and Alosa in close quarters (not to mention the possible swoons!).

And, while reading Daughter of the Pirate King, I noticed how much I've missed reading books set aboard ships and how fascinating it is traveling across the sea. The adventure, the thrill of dangerous waters and discovering its dark secrets always takes my breath away, and I'm happy to say that Tricia Levenseller captures everything perfectly. Every page entranced me like magic, filling me with a strong need to jump inside and join Alosa's crew to follow her in her seafaring (piracy) adventures! Oh, but minus the deadly situations, of course.

What Left Me Wanting More:

The only thing that left me wanting more from this book was right at the ending. After everything we go through, I expected a more dangerous confrontation. It was over before it had begun, thus leaving me a bit bummed. But other than that, this book was so great!

Final Verdict:

Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller is THE book to read if you love adventure, banter, a bit of magic, and lots of action! Trust me, you won't be able to put this book down for it will pull you under before you can say 'SEA'.
Good Points
A strong and independent YA heroine.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account