Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Previously published on my blog: http://fictionfervor.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/review-darkness-becomes-her-by-kelly-keaton/

I don’t think that it’s any secret that I automatically add fantasy books dealing with New Orleans onto my “to be read” list. But even if Darkness Becomes Her didn’t even mention New Orleans or Louisiana at all, I still think I would fall in love with it.

Darkness Becomes Her centers around a dystopian New Orleans, renamed New 2 … and everything is not as it seems. And when Ari, our protagonist, travels there to find the answers to her mysterious past, it turns out that the Novem, the owners of the strange city, are vampires, shapeshifters, and warlocks. And they have the answers to who she is.

Plot was never lacking at all in this novel. As soon as I cracked open the first page, I immediately fell into that sweet action that I love so dearly: Ari learning more of her mother’s death. And soon after that, Ari encounters even more action-packed incidents that mark her as a kick-butt protagonist. And not to mention the entire mystery that Ari faces: who is she? Why is her appearance so appalling? Why did her mother and her grandmother and her great-grandmother all die at the young age of twenty one? And will she be next to follow?

New 2 was a very believable setting for me. Even though I’d gasp to think that my beloved New Orleans would turn into such a disaster in the future, I could believe the setting. There was still my French Quarter. There was still Jackson Square. There were still my favorite places. The only difference was that they were different. They were changed.

Ari has become one of my favorite heroines. Other than the fact that she is kick-butt (she’s seriously pro with killing hunters trying to kill her), she’s beautiful, though she doesn’t think she is. Described with long silver hair and teal-colored eyes, she’s unique. And striking, especially to Sebastian, the dreamy love interest in this novel. Sebastian’s dark, mysterious, brooding – and not to mention hot with smoldering eyes. It’s a pity I can’t claim him as my boyfriend because he and Ari sure have those melting-chocolate feelings for each other. Though I’m a little upset that he and Ari hit it off so quickly (practically on the same day they met each other), their romance is fierce and romantic at the same time.

Darkness Becomes Her is a must for any paranormal and mythology lover out there. You’ll love the fiery romance and the mystery keeping you at the edge of your seat. You’ll love how Kelly Keaton manages to combine both paranormal, mythology, and dystopia in one. And you’ll love our kick-butt heroine Ari.

Source: copy read online at Pulse It
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account