Young Adult Fiction 693
Pure Fluffy RomCom
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
CUPCAKE by Cookie O'Gorman is a fluffy YA rom-com read about self-confidence, staying true to your values, and enjoying the moments life gives you. Ariel is a plus-sized social media baking star who is planning what she will cook to win a baking contest that comes with a scholarship when out of the blue she is nominated for Homecoming Court. In her small town, they take Homecoming seriously, and Ariel is whisked away for preparations and to select her partner who turns out to be Rhys, the beautiful and grumpy star quarterback.

I absolutely love Ariel. She is body positive, not letting her size dictate her mood. She's willing to put herself out there and has fun doing it. She's the girl everyone wants to be friends with, but is probably intimidated by. She's outgoing and fun with a sparkling personality. It's impossible to not smile when you are around her (even through the pages). However, being on Homecoming court is a challenge for her. It isn't something she wants, nor does she feel like she fits the image despite her own self-confidence. I love that her friend is the one that keeps her positive, but also Rhys.

Rhys and Ariel are a perfect couple. The tension, the swoon-worthy moments, and all the little things in between drive the story. It was so easy to root for them from the get-go. I do appreciate the insight into Ariel's thoughts here though, her hesitancy and how she believes it's all too good to be true.

On the surface, this book is your typical YA rom-com perfectly sweet and swoony. However, Ariel's insecurities and the bullying/comments about her weight bring the subject matter deeper and will resonate with readers of all-sizes and shapes. Ariel is an atypical beauty, and while she is comfortable in her own skin, others are not comfortable with her. The author handles this with care, delivering the message through Ariel and allowing it to be discussed with openly with her friends and family in a safe environment. Bullying, eating disorders, and mental illness are touched upon and dealt with throughout the book.

Overall, I devoured CUPCAKE. I didn't want it to end. I laughed, teared up, and swooned right along with Ariel and cheered her on through each obstacle. It left me with the best book-hangover ever. CUPCAKE is a sweet rom-com that will leave readers wanting more of Ariel and Rhys. Highly recommend!
Good Points
-Body positive
-Grumpy sunshine trope
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account