Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I’m a fan of Lisa McMann’s Wake trilogy, they were some of the first YA books I read and I loved that her writing is very easy to get lost in, it flows easily and you can read her books really fast, most in just one sitting. I was happy to see that it hadn’t changed in Cryer’s Cross. I finished this book in a day, Lisa McMann doesn’t waste a lot of time with useless details, her books get to the plot of the story right away, and Cryer’s Cross didn’t waste time getting to the creepy parts.

I liked that it takes place in a very small town, I really enjoy those type of settings since I always lived in a big city I often wondered what a small town life would feel like. Even though I can’t relate to the farmer type of life that Kendall lives, I understood her ambitions very well. Unfortunately all of that comes to an end when her classmates begin to disappear, something unheard of in the quiet and small town of Cryer’s Cross and it made me feel so bad for poor Kendall when her little world starts crumbling down.

In between the chapters on Cryer’s Cross there were these very creepy lines from another source in the novel that made the reader very curious to find out who they were and how they were taking these kids. Those little snippets between the chapters made the novel much more creepier and me wanting to know more about them. Like I said this was a very fast read but by the end I had mixed feelings about it, I liked it but didn’t love it. I was a bit disappointed to see that the ending wrapped up way too easy, the climax of the story only took about two pages in the book and it left me wanting to know more about these “ghosts”, if that’s what they were. I still enjoyed it and I’ll definitely read more by Lisa McMann, because even though I didn’t love the easy ending I enjoyed about 80% of the book and Lisa knows how to write some pretty engrossing thrillers.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account