N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
My Review:

Let me start by saying the mystery of the novel ended up being slightly disapointing, but there are tons of things that the marvelous author Lisa McMann did to make Cryer’s Cross one of the best books of 2011!

The first thing i thought when i read the blurb i thought: Kendall, the same protagonist, but this time she’ll be shy and has a problem that she feels pity constantly about. She’s going to be disjointed and never talk, like Bella with a mind problem. But the minute i opened the book, i realized how much Mrs. McMann knows about the mental disorder OCD. Kendall is by far one of my favorite main girl characters in a book because Mrs. McMann really delves into the compulsion but doesn’t constantly talk about it.

The second thing i loved about Cryer’s Cross was that the mystery was literally unsolvable. I couldn’t even begin to guess what was happening because i didn’t fully grasp the term “paranormal.” I began the story and instantly made bets on different characters who kidnapped Tiffany Quinn, but i could not support it at all!

The third thing i absolutely LOVED about Cryer’s Cross was the secondary characters. I read WAKE by Lisa McMann but did not continue because it had mature themes beyond my years, but i did notice how the secondary characters seemed to be well-fleshed out. Well, Cryer’s Cross does an EVEN BETTER JOB! Jacian, who i thought upon his introduction would be an Edward-Cullen-esque guy character, ended up being a lot different! And Marlena was a great friend, she listened and also had her annoying factors that everyone has!
Good Points
The Main Character - Kendall, with her OCD, was painted to be helpless when i read the plot! But once delving into the story, the creepy, amazing story, Kendall turns out to be one of the most amazing protagonists EVER! She is so confident in a way that is not disrespectful and stuff!

The Romance (And the Romanceer) - Jacian, in the first chapter, was painted to be an Edward Cullen-knock off, but once you really got into the story you realized he is really different! His emotion is well worded and well played out, and the romance is not sufficating, because Ms. McMann knows how to work with it so it is not all love-story!

The Writing Style - Ms. McMann has one of those ecletic writing styles. It can be jerky to some, but i think it is lyrical. It is poetic as she slides from one scene to the next. I LOVE where she describes the movement of a character and uses sentences without the subject! "Kendall falls down. Begins to cry." it's not from the book but it's an example!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account