Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Oh my goodness, Crewel is one of the most intense, fast paced books I think I've ever read. Gennifer Albin wastes no time and jumps right into the action. Instantly readers are swept up into the world of the Guild to build one of the most fantastic books I've read in a very long time.

Crewel is one of those really cool books that is such a blend of genres that you can't really pinpoint it. The structure of the government fares with dystopian, but much of the weaving and the Spinsters lies with the fantastical. There also is an aspect of sci-fi within it as well and I just loved this blend.

Gennifer Albin has woven a beautiful story. I just love her prose - it is simply gorgeous. By the time I had finished the prologue, I had already known that Crewel would be a book I would love. The story was so captivating and refreshingly new. I just love the idea of putting Spinsters at the head of society - it is such the opposite of idealistic society.

The world is so expertly crafted. I loved the entire concept behind the world and everything is just really well done in regards to it. The government, the looms and threads themselves, it was all so new, which was completely refreshing.

I loved the whisperings of those who are for the rebellion and against the Guild. The foundation was very well laid and I am very curious to get some answers about it in book 2. There is just so much history that each character seems to have to tell and I want to hear all about it.

Adelice is a wonderful main character - I love that she has her spunk and won't let anyone shape her into the perfect Spinster. She remains true to her principles and morals, which is very admirable. All the other characters were really well written as well. Cormac is so interesting - his character is so multifaceted and I want to see more of him in the future. Erik is another character who really intrigues me. I really want to know what his story is.

The ending, oh the ending. It was so cruel! The book is intense throughout the entire book, but the last chapters completely escalate into a completely cruel cliffhanger. I am SO antsy to see what will happen next.

Crewel by Gennifer Albin is a brilliant debut. I flew through it in about two hours, not able to put it down for a moment. With its beautiful prose and captivating story, Crewel will be a book you will be sad to miss.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account