Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I Loved: Louise Rozett has truly captured the voice of Rose, giving readers a realistic look into the life of a teenager that is both heartbreaking and hopeful.

Depression isn't always the angsty, weepy, person who refuses to get out of bed, eat or has thoughts of ending their life. Sometimes, it's the person whose stuck in a kind of "nothingness" that they can't seem to escape. They want to feel things but they just can't. (I can personally relate to both.)

This is where we find Rose in CONFESSIONS OF AN ALMOST-GIRLFRIEND, stuck in the nothingness. She is surrounded by people and situations that should garner some sort of emotional reaction, but doesn't. She has the occasional outburst of feeling - anger, desire, frustration and confusion, but for the most part, Rose is just going through the motions of her life. It gets to the point where she even allows other people to decide what she should do and what clothes she should wear.

It would have been very easy for Rozett to walk us into the "nothingness" with Rose and leave us there, but she doesn't. Instead, she provides a way for Rose to experience new things and to "feel" again. It's raw, emotional and painful, but it's real. It's in those feelings that Rose will start to discover who she is, what she wants and most importantly, how to love herself.

There is an engaging cast of supporting characters and while I did manage to feel more compassion for Regina and her family, I still don't trust her. I also think everyone should have an Angelo in their lives.

And then there is the tall, dark and brooding Jamie Forta, the one person who makes Rose feel all kind of things. Rose wants to nothing and everything to do with Jamie all at the same time (me too) but he remains elusive and just when she thinks she has him figured out, he retreats into the familiarity of his own struggles. My heart broke for Jamie and I was torn between wanting to hug all his pain away and shaking some sense into him while yelling, "YOU ARE WORTH ALL THE LOVE! JUST LET THEM LOVE YOU JAMIE!"

What Left Me Wanting More: FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS JAMIE FORTA, PLEASE LET THERE BE A THIRD BOOK! *bribes Harlequin Teen with cupcakes*

Favorite Quote: "But when Jamie Forta is looking at me, I wish with every bone in my body that I were beautiful."

Final Verdict: Emotional, heartrending sequel that will break your heart in all the right ways. READ IT!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
June 18, 2013
WOW great review
1 results - showing 1 - 1