Review Detail

5.0 1
Young Adult Fiction 125
A unique dystopian, pulsing with a cyperpunk beat!
(Updated: June 27, 2013)
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I absolutely LOVED this book. I really felt that the entire concept was wholly original and executed in a pitch perfect voice. Anthem, the main character, was entirely swoon worthy. He was such a broken guy but with soo much love in his heart for those he cared about. All of his friends were well developed and extremely relatable. I know that anyone who reads this book, will find at least one character, idea, or situation that they can completely connect with. Coda explores some tough issues, but in a way that I have never seen done before. I loved how the author showed bi/homosexuality as completely normal, and no one having a problem with it. It was very refreshing. Drug addiction is explored through the tracks that everyone is forced to listen to. They are also additcive, and you can overdose from "tracking" to much. The idea of music being used as a drug the way it was in Coda, just blew my mind. It was an amazing new dystopian world that I completely fell in love with. The entire story just marched to a completely different beat. I remember while I was reading Coda, thinking, this will help soo many teens, and they will just think they are reading a kick you-know-what book. There are life lessons buried within these pages, and it is a truly awesome thing that Emma Trevayne was able to do this in the way that she did. I really cannot say enough about this book. The pacing was perfect, and the action spot-on. The romance had that push-pull tension that we all love. There is such a beautiful sadness that you will only understand once you have experienced it for yourself. I recommend this to everyone. I really cannot think of one thing I did not like about Coda, except for the fact that there is a second book coming, and I have to wait for it!
A breathtaking debut from a YA author to keep your eye on!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account