Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Previously published on my blog: http://fictionfervor.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/review-clockwork-angel-by-cassandra-clare/

Clockwork Angel, to be put simply, is a beautifully woven tale of mystery and romance.

I have a hard time believing that more people like Cassandra Clare’s The Mortal Instruments series than The Infernal Devices (the first book of which is Clockwork Angel). The writing in the ID series is so much more eloquent than that in TMI (which may be due to the different era), and the characters are so much more likable. The mystery is even greater, and more surprises were thrown my way in ID. And plus, the covers are so much prettier.

Yes, I believe that the Infernal Devices series is ten times better than the TMI series.

Tessa Gray, the protagonist, is definitely not a Mary Sue; she has a strange ability to change into other people. And no, she isn’t like a regular shapeshifter; she not only changes her appearance, but she can access the memories and thoughts of the person into whom she changes. In addition to her supernatural powers, she’s an avid reader. (Bonus points for us bookworms, eh?) She may not be kick-butt, but she’s got cool points.

Don’t get me started on the love triangle. Will Herondale may be the hot, sensitive guy with hidden feelings, but he treats Tessa rudely and pushes her away. But Jem Carstairs, Will’s parabatai, is sweet and kind, showing Tessa his feelings through his actions. Trust me, this is one love triangle that will make you pull out your hair and scream in frustration–because both Shadowhunters are so lovable.

And while there may be romance, that isn’t the main plot. (Thank goodness for that.) Planning to visit her brother, Nate, Tessa travels from America to England, where she gets kidnapped by the Dark Sisters who want to use Tessa’s power for a mysterious person named the Magister. Then she is rescued by Will and Jem, who take her to the London Institute. But the Magister wants Tessa, and he’d be willing to do anything to get her back…

If I could sing the praises of this book even further, I would. C’mon, it’s a mixture of fantasy (the vampires, the werewolves, the faeries, the Nephilim!) and steampunk (clockwork army for the win, yo) set in the Victorian era. You’ve got to try that out. Especially since I’m saying this: Clockwork Angel is phenomenal. Read it now.

Source: Hardcover borrowed from library
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account