Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Previously published on my blog: http://fictionfervor.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/review-city-of-fallen-angels-by-cassandra-clare/

I am glad that Cassie Clare decided to extend The Mortal Instruments. You might be asking me why I feel that way. Originally I thought the Mortal Instruments series was an okay series; the idea was original, but not so much the plot. But oh my gosh, City of Fallen Angels surpassed its prequels.

The plot became so much more complex with this new installment in the series. Cassie’s writing style has improved, I think, and the surprises she throws you every which way will throw you off guard, beyond a doubt. You’ll be dying to know who the new villain is (or do you already know the villain?), and finally when you find out, you’re left with that cliffhanger ending that will leave you itching to get your hands on City of Lost Souls, the sequel.

I definitely liked the characters in City of Fallen Angels more too. Clary is no longer that Mary Sue (ugh, I hate those perfect girls); Jace has been teaching her how to be a Shadowhunter, so now she knows how to kick butt! Or, well, sort of. But runes are still her calling, you know. Jace is still, well, Jace. The epitome of a bad boy that stays sweet to those he loves. And Simon! Ah, I used to hate Simon–he was really annoying back in the first few books–but now Simon has cooled his sarcasm (slightly) AND he might be dating two girls. Poor guy, too shy to tell which of them he’s going out with.

And the romance! I love Clary and Jace together; now that they know the truth about their heritage, they don’t have to worry about that pesky problem of incest … And Simon’s relationship with Isabelle and Maia is also really cute (though he’s bound to get in trouble). I’m not on either team, really, though I get the feeling that Simon might end up with Isabelle. Hmm.

There were some new characters too! I’d always liked Camille in the Infernal Devices series (Cassie’s prequel series to The Mortal Instruments), though she scares me sometimes, being a vamp and all. I was pretty cool with Jordan too, though at first his backstory made me hate him.

City of Fallen Angels is a delightful installment of the Mortal Instruments series, full of more twists and turns than can ever be imagined. I applaud you, Cassandra Clare.

Source: Hardcover borrowed from library
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account