Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
In the future anyone over the age of eighteen is infertile. Would-be parents pay teen girls to be their surrogates making teens a prized commodity.

Sixteen-year-old Melody's parents have worked hard to make sure she has a prized conception contract with a couple called the Jaydens. This means Melody will want for nothing. She believes in this and can't wait until she can be bumped. Everything changes though when her identical twin Harmony shows up at her doorstep. Harmony has spent her whole life in religious Goodside, who teach that having babies for a profit is a sin.

Things go awry when the world-famous, genetically flawless Jondoe mistakes Harmony for Melody. Both girls lives are changed, taking both of them on a journey in which they'll never forget.

I totally loved the premise of this story which takes the whole 'what if teens were the only ones to get pregnant' to a new level. Yes, I admit, I'm fascinated with MTV's TEEN MOM, because my own adopted son's birthmother was fourteen when she had him.

I also love the humor in this story. McCafferty does a great job creating a world in the future with such things as pop songs that encourage teens to 'bump', having FunBumps where teens can try on a fake tummy to feel preggie, and even catch phrases like Born to Breed. Very original and unique.

You can feel Melody's insecurity with the others in her school who end up getting pregnant before her and how hard this must be considering she was the first girl at her school to popularize reproductive empowerment. When her twin shows up and starts trying to convert her to Goodside, Melody at first makes fun of her and later starts to have her own doubts about her role in her society.

My favorite character had to be Harmony. Her struggles with her faith and wanting to be more than just a wife gives her depth. I especially like her whole reaction to Jondoe.

Zen also is shown as the best friend who wants to be more but can't as he's considered a 'worm', someone not genetically worthy to make profitable babies. His humor balances Melody's rigidness.

McCafferty's world is one I'd like to revisit. Her take on a serious subject--teen's having babies--is written in such an unique and freshing way that this book is sure to become a favorite.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account