N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Stinkerific. The end.

Ok, I'll explain. This book managed to hit some of my bookish pet peeves, which ruined it for me. First off, I really get annoyed when books create words. I understand that sometimes this is needed to help create a setting (like in Scott Westerfield's series). Unfortunately, in Bubble World, instead of adding to the setting it just got annoying... and confused the mess out of me for a good portion of the book. For instance, what the H is "un-utter" supposed to be? Gah! And "scrummy"? You do not describe something that is supposed to be amazing as "scrummy". It looks too much like scummy; therefore, it's a terrible choice in made up words. If you're making crap up, at least make it make sense.

Pet peeve #2 that was breached: superficial characters. Not a single character in this book made an impact on me, except for maybe the 10 lines the English teacher had towards the end. Freesia/Francine is an idiot. Spending time in Bubble World just makes her more of one when she returns. I'm struggling to find something redeeming. Her family should be taken outside and tied to a tree and left to the elements. What a bunch of a-holes. I hated them all. Her dad might have been okay, but he wasn't around enough. Plus, he did everything the crazy mom wanted, which just made him seem spineless. Psycho mom was too much. She was horribly self-absorbed and all over the place. The phrase "sell out" comes to mind when thinking about her, which made her credibility plummet. Not that she had much/any to behind with. Then there is the sister- Angel. OMG. What a whiny brat. I would have slapped her. Several times.

Bad characters lead me to pet peeve #3: unanswered questions. There are so many things that were not resolved. For instance, what is up with Angel? Why does she keep saying no one likes her? A little explanation would be nice. Then there are the old friends/enemies of Freesia/Francine. Erin's role I understand, but what's the deal with the other girl? Why is Angel connected to this chick? I'd like that explained. This book also needs more back story for why the parents were okay with hooking their brilliant child up to a tube for 3 years without ever really following up. Even for a dystopian type book, that is not believable.

I could keep ranting, but I'm not finding this book very "de-vicious" (yeah, another stupid slang word). It's irking me to think about it. I do not recommend reading this book. In fact, you should probably go scrub your toilets or give the cat a bath instead of reading it. At the very least, get it from the library when you have nothing else to read. Do not waste your money on it.

** I'm sorry this sounds so harsh, but I was seriously let down with this one.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
August 09, 2013
Man, this one had potential to be really good and interesting, but it sounds like it totally missed the mark. I think I might just have to skip this one. Come to think of it, my cat could use a bath...
1 results - showing 1 - 1