Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Charlie Healey cant wait to put the nightmare of Middle school behind her. She wants her freshman year at high school to be without all the drama.

Then a boy she hadnt seen since the sixth grade shows up. She finds herself attracted to him. All the while she hopes he doesnt remember her own past. While at her new high school she finds out not everything is as it seems. If she thought dealing with the mean girls at her Middle school was tough, she hasnt met some of the players on the lacrosse team. Rumors have been circulating around on campus about hazing new freshman players. The principal and other adults look the other way. But after she witnesses something, she knows she cant stay silent. Can she risk a repeat of what happened at her Middle school? And who will believe her?

I really enjoyed this story. Humorous at times while also addressing a serious issue. This is Rosalind Wisemans first YA novel and she more than delivers. I could so see Tina Fey as one of the teachers in this story. She shows that girls arent the only Mean ones in high school. The hazing incidents are very realistic. So are the scenes that show how teens struggle with fitting in even when they know whats happening is wrong. Charlie is a character teens can relate with. Her worries of how to help a friend not do something wrong while not coming off too strong is real. If no one believes the hazing plot all they have to do is read any newspaper to see it still happens.

I loved the voice of this story. Wiseman has a real gift with taking a serious topic such as hazing and using humor laced with practical advice that doesnt come across as preachy. A must read to add to any collection.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account