Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I was a huge fan of the Vampire Academy series, so when I first heard about this spin-off series I had very mixed emotions. I don't have much experience with spin-offs but I felt that VA was so good, I didn't want anything to taint the world for me. Plus, I had grown to love the main characters in the series so I didn't know what to expect with them taking to the sidelines while the characters who were on the sidelines in Vampire Academy took the spotlight. This book actually came in the mail from the publisher, unrequested. My mixed emotions stayed with me for all of a day - then I got all anxious and just had to read it. Honestly? I'm glad I did.

My favorite characters taking a backseat to the other characters didn't bother me as much as I thought, but I think the main reason is that the characters taking the stage this time around were characters that I did enjoy in the other series. Sydney was a great character. Although she is no Rose, she's amazing in her own ways. Where Rose was always a kick-ass character who dove into action, Sydney felt more realistically human to me in that she is eighteen, yet still learning who she is and is sometimes vulnerable. Of course, this might have to do with that fact that Rose wasn't exactly all human... but I liked both of them for very different reasons. I also loved the fact that Adrian took a bigger role in this book than what I was expecting. I loved him in Vampire Academy and it was good to see him, though his pain sometimes made my heart ache. However, we still had some very Adrian moments that definitely let us know he's still Adrian... just an Adrian trying to get over heartbreak.

Bloodlines is written exactly the way that we've come to expect and love from Richelle Mead - which is nothing less than page-turning. There's action, an amazing plot and some cameos that were not expected but definitely welcomed. The one thing that this novel lacked that Vampire Academy did not was a love interest and romance. There were hints to some that may come along in the next book, but it definitely took a backseat to everything else in this one. At the end, there were some unanswered questions but I'm sure we'll get our answers as the series continues. If you haven't read the Vampire Academy series, you may be a little lost. Richelle Mead definitely put some information in to help you out, though I don't know if it's substantial enough to keep you completely informed.

Overall, this was a great start to a spin-off series and I absolutely adored it. Vampire Academy fans will definitely feel at home with the familiar characters. Everyone else will enjoy a great story full of engaging characters and a spectacular plot that will have your head spinning.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account