N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I Loved:

This is a well-paced, chills-up-the-spine horror book that kept me turning pages as fast as I could. The suspense is strong (and creepy and scary!), and I was desperately trying to figure out how it would end. (Especially after I got my first real glimpse of what haunts Jane. AAAHHH!) This author knows what he's doing when he crafts a horror story, and I particularly like that there's no blood and gore or really detailed nastiness. It's a great introduction to the horror genre for YA readers.

I also enjoyed the way the author wove flashbacks into the main narrative. That's a tricky thing to do, and he did it seamlessly. I was just as interested in the flashbacks as I was in the current narrative, and sometimes I was impatiently waiting for the next one because I hoped it would give me a clue to the mystery.

The friendship between Jane and her best friend Lexi is really well done. They behave like teen girls who have a strong sister-like bond, and Lexi is a fully developed character in her own right. I enjoyed that both Jane and Lexi have different interests and that we get a look at those differences and at the way they respect each other's talents.

What Left Me Wanting More:

I really enjoyed Jane and her narrative voice most of the time, but there were several instances where I either rolled my eyes or gritted my teeth in annoyance because whenever she thought about romance or her current crush, she thought about it how a man assumes a teen girl thinks about romance. It didn't ring true at all. I was also irritated that Jane has an addiction to romance novels (which is fine), hides them in the closet so she won't get teased by others (less than fine, but ok), and then comments every time she picks one up that she must like them because she has a "lusty heart."

Um, no.

Combine that with the very physical way she approached thinking about romance, and it felt like I was in a boy's head instead on those sections. Not that girls don't think about the physical side of a romantic relationship, but it just felt ... boyish. And then she makes a comment about being a tomboy but still being capable of wanting a romance, and that made no sense. Being a tomboy means you enjoy outdoors activities and sports and things that have more traditionally been in the "boy" arena, but it has nothing to do with your emotional capacity for love. For me, those few instances were the only parts of the book that didn't sweep me off my feet.

Final Verdict:

I really, really enjoyed this book. I think it's a great, fast-paced clean read for horror lovers and those who are new to the genre. I will definitely pick up the next book Mr. McNamee writes.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account