Queen of Rom-Coms Does It Again!
(Updated: December 11, 2023)
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
BETTING ON YOU by Lynn Painter is a YA Contemporary Romance in which Charlie and Bailey meet a handful of times over the years before becoming co-workers. At first, things are a bit icy between them, because their prior interactions proved they’re polar opposites, but as they really get to know one another, they realize that as infuriating as the other may be, they’re reliable as friends. Together, they not only help each other overcome their exes, but they also help each other navigate their respective parents’ divorces. Before long, it becomes clear they have growing feelings, but without healthy examples of love in their lives, it’s too scary to take the next step.

Lynn Painter is the queen of this genre and so consistent in not only delivering the expected conventions but improving on them with her unique touch. She has a genuine skill at getting readers to care about her characters, and that’s because she’s made them so rich with human traits and quirks that they could practically walk off the page. Sometimes, in terms of all the used tropes and characteristics, it felt like a lot was being thrown at us in this book, but it’s such an enjoyable read that I was more excited to go on the ride than narrow in on moments that could’ve been better.

What makes this story shine the most is how Painter allows Charlie’s and Bailey’s story to unfold and build. It’s so natural and innocent, and we readers get to know the characters as they get to know each other. The dialogue, especially Charlie’s, is so amusing and witty that I often found myself chuckling, or in contrast, shocked by the moments of honesty peppered in between everything else.

Overall, BETTING ON YOU is a fabulous little package of charm, sincerity, and humor. It’s impossible to read a Painter book without delighted investment, and when comparing this novel to some of her others, like BETTER THAN THE MOVIES and THE DO-OVER, it is abundantly clear that this isn’t a fluke: Painter is fast emerging as a beloved author who will hopefully be entertaining us for years to come.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account