Young Adult Fiction 3819
Belladonna Review
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I'll be honest and say that any book that has an interesting relationship with a persona of Death, is almost going to suck me in immediately. And Belladonna was no exception. Right from the very beginning, I was drawn into Signa's story. The beginning of the book did a great job of explaining Signa's situation without going into too many details. Then almost immediately her journey to Thorn Grove where death (figuratively and literally) surrounds her. At first, I was a little confused because I thought it was going to be a story of solving Signa's mothers murder but I was definitely wrong. And while Signa was trying to solve the murder of Lillian, it was more so about saving Blythe. Lillian was present in the beginning and the end, but not so much the middle. I had many theories about many different things and was pleasantly surprised that only one of my theories came true. It's fun trying to solve them and be right, but I do enjoy being wrong as well. I thought this was well written and enjoyed it very much. Once I got into the meat of the story, it was really hard to put down and I was itching to pick it back up.

I loved Signa Farrow so much. With her initial wanting of becoming into society, to discovering her true passions and who she wants to be. I do with there was a little more relationship building with the Hawthorne's themselves because it was mostly by description that Signa did care for them, but it still worked. I absolutely loved the portrayal of Death. The way that he is the most "feared" man on Earth but the beauty in his job as well. It was clear why he felt connected to Signa but I also enjoyed seeing her overcome her own stigma.

Overall, Belladonna by Adalyn Grace was a complete win for me! I loved the story and the sleuthing to find out who was poisoning Blythe in order to save her. Signa was such a great character and I her personality really shown through the pages. This was such a good example of a Death personified done right! The relationship between Death and Signa was so well done and even Death himself was done great. If you love the supernatural with a bit of murder mystery, then please pick up this book.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account