Review Detail

Kids Fiction 238
Welcoming new members to a community
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Bear is out in the forest with his friends when he is invited to look at the eggs in a robin's next. He leaves a little gift for the baby birds soon to come. The friends continue on, and do the same for the duck's nest in the marsh. In the meadow, however, they run into a mother meadowlark in distress who tells them that her eggs are missing. A search is started, and when the eggs are found one by one, Bear paints them so they are easier to find in case they get lost again. When the final two are located, they are taken to the meadowlark's nest, but before they arrive, the eggs start to hatch! Bear gets to greet the fledgings, wish them luck, and invite them to visit him when they are older.
Good Points
The illustrations of the animals are all very realistic, and the green background of the various places in the wilderness is very soothing. I especially liked some of the flowers, which added pops of color and made me want to look up what kinds of flowers they might be!

The story is in rhyme and meter, so would make a good read aloud that would hold up to frequent repetitions. The size of the text is somewhat larger than normal, and since there are only a few lines on each page, this would be a very quick read.

This is the eleventh book in the series, which doesn't matter all that much. I was a little confused as to why such a wide array of animals was together, and to why the meadowlark lost her eggs (Was she carrying them around? Did another animal move them?) but I am perhaps I am overthinking a simple picture book about friends greeting new babies.
Toht's Pick a Perfect Egg, John and Oswald's The Great Escape, or Platt and Martin's Easter Starring Egg.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account