Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Bad Taste in Boys is utterly hilarious. It sort of reminded me of Paranormalcy by Kiersten White. Carrie Harris knows she’s writing about a book zombies infecting a high school and how silly (but awesome) it all sounds, and therefore, she didn’t write the book to be all serious and over your head. It’s funny, enjoyable, and even a little bit relatable.

Because, despite the fact that Kate is a super science genius, she’s also a bit geeky and unsure of herself when it comes to guys. I loved her voice and really enjoyed reading the story through her eyes.

Review originally posted on my blog http://hobbitsies.net/2011/07/bad-taste-in-boys-by-carrie-harris/

And despite Kate’s super science genius-ness, she’s actually really dense. And I don’t say this like she’s dumb. But I mean – if a finger comes off a guy right in front of you, you tell someone. Or scream. Or evacuate. You don’t go back to brain bowl like nothing happened. Or if a woman grills her own hand in front of you and squirts black gunk out of her mouth, you don’t politely ask her to move her hand. Panic, goddamnit! But, like I said – Bad Taste in Boys is not supposed to be a serious book. It’s partly ridiculous, but 100% fun.

I loved Kate and her developing relationship with the high school quarterback, Aaron. It added a completely different level of humor to the book, something that I understood a lot better than zombie drama, and I really enjoyed that added subplot. It was really cute, the way their relationship developed.

Overall, I loved Bad Taste in Boys. Despite the ridiculousness of the whole thing, I thought the cause of the infection and the cure actually really worked for the story (although I’m not a science genius) and I loved the characters. Carrie Harris really knows how to do humor without it seeming like she’s trying to hard and I’ll certainly be reading more books by her in the future. I definitely recommend Bad Taste in Boys if you’re looking for a fun, sort-of-freaky story with a bonus cute romance.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account