Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
As Middle Grade graphic novel adaptations go, this urban fantasy is above par.

The artwork has a bit of darkness and grit, but still conveys characterization and emotion to a close approximation of what I’d envisioned while reading the actual book. (The scene with Artemis trying to talk to his mentally ill mother was particularly affecting.) The plot is certainly condensed, but nothing critical stood out as absent. And the satirical aspects are conveyed effectively—which makes the more derivative Fae worldbuilding forgivable, and even fun.

It’s a pretty quick read compared to the original. And I’m a little afraid that some elements about Artemis are lost in the more visual translation of his character. (Given he starts out the series as an anti-hero who seems on the precipice of going either way with his dubious moral compass, he’s a touch difficult to like and/or relate to—especially in the first book. This effect may be worsened for those who HAVEN’T read the original.)

Note: Having read four books into the original series, I’d like to reassure parents/teachers that the point of these books isn’t to glorify misdeeds or hold Artemis up as an evil genius worthy of imitation. Artemis is simply a flawed character with PLENTY of room for personal growth. And he does grow…albeit more so in later books.

All in all, a solid option for more reluctant readers! And perhaps (hopefully!) a gateway medium for the actual book series.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account