Review Detail

Young Adult Indie 92
Exciting, (Mostly) Nail-Biting Dystopian Action!
Overall rating

Writing Style

N/A
Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
The story:

Lune Avery has survived the Elite Trials and escaped the clutches of her tyrant father, but her trials have only just begun. In the wilds beyond the city where she’s lived her whole life, she must face new challenges and dangers, many of which involve her friend and trainer Bren. Questions are answered, but these lead to even deeper mysteries.

What I loved:

As with Book One in this series, Becky Moynihan’s skills are a writer are superb. She’s a pro at world building and action sequences, and has a knack for building compelling characters. A game-changing event happens halfway through the story that will throw you for a loop, along with a change of setting that is very different but just as interesting. This all builds to a fantastic, gripping ending that left me wanting Book 3!

What I didn’t love:

While the aforementioned “game-changer” was a terrific twist, it did come with a very significant change of pace. While questions burn in our mind, the pace settled to a slow burn that made the third quarter of the book a little harder to get through.

My Final Verdict:

If you loved The Hunger Games, you will love The Elite Trials. Katniss and Lune are very different characters, yet cut from the same badass cloth. There is a fair amount of snark and romance that will appeal to teens as well. I highly recommend it.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account