Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Spencer feels like an outsider. His mom left the family when he was five. His dad and brother exclude him as they bond over competitive sports and the outdoors. He's teased mercilessly by kids who think he's a freak thanks to the tics that come with Tourette's Syndrome. And he's pretty sure that no girl will ever like him--especially since the minute a girl meets his brother Dean she immediately falls for him, and Spencer is relegated to the role of geeky little brother rather than potential love interest.

Then, when Spencer is thirteen-years-old, a beautiful, cool, smart girl moves in next door. Hope is the same age as Spencer, and she treats him like a real human being. In fact, they become friends--best friends.

A TAXONOMY OF LOVE by Rachael Allen follows Spencer and Hope from age 13 to 19. The story of their friendship is a standard one with ups and downs, crushes and jealousies, intimacies and periods of not speaking, and hurts, triumphs, and dramas. Spencer's struggles to work through the challenges presented by Tourette's syndrome add an extra layer to all aspects of the story without overwhelming it. Spencer is the primary narrator of A TAXONOMY OF LOVE, and his voice is great. His and Hope's relationships with their families, friends, and each other all ring true, and the varied problems faced by them and the other characters in the book ensure an opportunity for engagement for most readers. The taxonomies/flow charts that Spencer draws as he works out things that bother or interest him are little bonus sections that make the story all the more fun. I'm especially happy that there's a book out in the world that allows teens with Tourette's syndrome to see themselves in literature in an overwhelmingly positive light. Spencer's Tourette's is a part of his life, of course, but it definitely doesn't define him.

I really enjoyed hanging out with Spencer, his friends, and his family. A TAXONOMY OF LOVE is well written and character driven, and it makes me want to read everything else that Rachael Allen has written.

My thanks to the publisher and YA Books Central for a copy of the book in exchange for my unbiased review.
Good Points
Enjoyable primary characters
A unique main character
Well written
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account