Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
While I recall this book being very well written and purposeful in it's structure, my better recollection is how it affected me. While being told from an entirely masculine adolescent perspective, I found it both relatable and insightful. To me, it came across as an allegorical commentary on sociological dynamics and the human will.

The two main characters you follow are like a sampling of any segment of the population, with a sprinkling of universal teen angst and insecurity. You have a gung-ho charismatic Finny, who possesses leadership skills that he doesn't seem entirely aware of, and doesn't always use wisely. And then you have Gene, the introverted follower, who has difficulty taking personal responsibility for his actions in spite of his obvious intelligence. In the telling, I saw the classic struggle of human nature to either complement the strengths and weaknesses of those closest to us, or to resent them for their deviation from our own personality.

What struck me more than anything was the way the book presented the danger of nursing resentment. Gene eventually displays a sort of impulsive evil, the consequences of which he does not weigh in the moment of action. There is an obvious mortification with what a person is capable of, and yet, there is a clear comprehension of how they have arrived at that catastrophic place. For that, I consider this an enduringly important book.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account