Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
This is an old-fashioned romance novel the kind where the heroine is almost too good to be true, the hero very handsome, and the setting caters to our dreams of how the other half lived, back when everything was more grand. It is also an age-appropriate romance (though adults will also enjoy it), with no mentions of anything illicit and absolutely no heaving this or sweating that.

In fact, this book would have been reviewed sooner in the day if I could have kept myself from picking it up again and again to re-read just a little bit. Its just such a refreshingly nice romance.

Anna is a young deposed Russian countess who has fled to England with what remains of her family after the revolution. Their family fortune disappeared along with her old wet nurse and Anna takes a job as a household maid in the Westerholme family. Youd think she might be a little bitter about how things have turned out, but Anna is an absolute paragon of virtue. She is determined to make things work and even regularly consults her handy (and huge) but outdated housekeeping manual.

She soon meets Rupert, the new Earl, recently back from the war. Like everyone else in the house, he is soon smitten by Anna. However, hes also engaged to Muriel Hardwicke, the woman who had nursed him back to health after an injury in the war.

Muriel soon makes herself known to all the residents of Westerholme&and not at all in a good way. But how can Rupert back out of their marriage? He gave his word, and, perhaps even more importantly, it is Muriels money that is sustaining the estate. What can be done?

I am, of course, leaving out all of the various other entanglements present in the novel (the Honourable Olive, the butler Proom, Tom and Susie, Annas beautiful cousin Sergei&). You see, theres a lot to like in this novel. You will read it and it will make you feel good. Though there are hardships and despair, in the end everything works out just how you would like it to.

Recommended for readers aged 12 and up and anyone who needs a shot of romance in their life.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account