Review Detail

Kids Nonfiction 337
A beautiful new edition of a classic nonsense poem
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Learning Value

Kids Can Press under the imprint KCP Poetry are putting out a delightful series of classic poems. I say delightful because they are lovely illustrations, hardbound, and just really well done. These are the kind of books you would want to add to your collection.

If you arent already familiar with Edward Lears poetry, this volume is a good introduction. Known as a nonsense poet of the Victorian era, Lear had a charming touch with words.

In The Owl and the Pussycat a decidedly odd couple fall in love and decide to get married. Youve probably heard at least this part of the poem before:

The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea

In a beautiful pea green boat,

They took some honey, and plenty of money,

Wrapped up in a five pound note.

Stephane Jorischs whimsical illustrations suit the poem very well and add to the overall delightful (theres that word again) feel of this book. Included in the back are brief bios of both the poet and the illustrator, again making this a nice collectors item.

Recommended for lovers of poetry and Edward Lear. Good for all ages (though, honestly, the books are so nice I would probably not let my little grubby-fingered one handle it by himself).
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account