Young Adult Fiction 825
Tokyo Dreaming Review
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Since reading Tokyo Ever After a few months ago, I've been eager to read this sequel. And it did not disappoint!

This is such a cute, sweet story. I loved jumping back into this world and finding out what happened next with Izumi, her family, and Akio. It picked right up with Izumi still learning what it took to be a "proper" princess, but it also added in a new potential love interest to show how much her life is changing, not to mention the stress and decisions her mother had to make as well.

I really enjoyed the family dynamics in this book. Though it's technically a romance, that didn't truly feel like the main focus, which I liked. It was more about Izumi and her mother adjusting to their new lives and figuring out how much of themselves to give up to become what others wanted them to be. I also loved that we got to see her cousins more and understand their behavior.

The romance was really good, though a tiny bit predictable. I had a feeling I knew how it'd end, and I was pleased with it. However, it kind of felt abrupt. I don't want to spoil things, so I won't go into details, but the romance part of the ending felt very rushed, and how it pivoted to that point felt almost random. Again, I still very much enjoyed the book, and this didn't take away from the overall story.

I highly recommend this duology! It's a cute story with a lot of heart. This second book actually made me cry. Despite its fairytale-esque story, it also feels very real. Izumi's emotions and struggles are realistic and relatable. It isn't just becoming a princess she's dealing with but finding herself, preparing for college, and growing up in general.

It was a great read, and I look forward to seeing what the author has in store next!
Good Points
- Fun, easy read
- Great characters
- Cute love story
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account