N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by the book muncher

Kaye has always been different. Shes Japanese and a natural blonde. She stopped going to school when she was fourteen because her musician mother kept them moving around. But what made the other kids really back away were the stories about her friends Gristle, Spike, and Lutie-loo. Everyone thought they were imaginary because no one besides Kaye could see these creatures. Thats because Kayes friends were part of the world of Faery.

Kaye is dragged farther into this dangerous world when she saves a dying faerie named Roiben. After this encounter, she meets up with her old friend Lutie and Spike only to find out that her other friend Gristle has been murdered by the faerie she saved earlier, Roiben. Her friend then bring her into the plot to let the solitary fey be free for seven years: Kaye has to break the tithe, a ritual in which a mortal is sacrificed for the Unseelie Court. And with that, she is in the middle of a war between that the two powerful faerie courts.

Holly Black presents a fantastical faerie world similar to the one in Melissa Marrs Wicked Lovely, yet it is difficult to compare the two. Bother Kaye and Aislinn are strong-minded characters, but it is the setting and the rest of the faerie world that makes the stories so different; Kayes is one filled with drinking and shoplifting. I appreciated how Kaye is unapologetic for who she is and found it amusing that Kaye didnt know her own cleverness. I also found Kaye and Roibens relationship extremely romantic.

I highly recommend this exciting story, especially for fans of other faerie stories. I definitely look forward to reading more of Blacks faerie novels.

reposted from http://thebookmuncher.blogspot.com/
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account