Review Detail

The Nobleman's Guide to Scandal and Shipwrecks
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
This is the third book in the Montague Siblings, which I've loved from the beginning. I was very excited to read the gremlin's story, and while I assumed I'd enjoy it, I did not expect to love it as much as I did! Honestly, if I didn't have such a deep, emotional attachment to the first book, this would be my favorite of the series.

Adrian is grieving for his mother and trying to figure out the truth behind her mysterious death. In his search for answers, he discovers the older brother and sister he didn't know existed. It turns into a whole adventure that was very reminiscent of the first book. That, along with the sibling dynamics, made this an instant favorite. I adored seeing where Monty, Percy, and Felicity are now (it's been 19 years). They naturally don't get along well at the beginning, but eventually they grow to care about one another, and watching that development was just wonderful.

There was an element of romance, but it wasn't the focus. Without giving too much away, Adrian is already engaged at the beginning of the story, and though his adventure separates them, he still loves her throughout. It wasn't about him finding love or anything like that, but rather finding family and his place in the world. As someone who typically prefers romance in books, I had zero problem with the small amount of it in this one.

There was also a great deal about mental health. Adrian has severe anxiety and OCD, and throughout the book, we see him struggling with both. We see the intrusive thoughts and the panicking, and it was all so relatable and intense. I will admit, I was concerned about reading this because of my own mental health, but it was done so well. I connected to it so much, and while it was really emotional at parts, it was also almost comforting to read about a character with similar struggles.

This was why I loved the first book so much; I connected with Percy because of my physical disability. So, to then read this one and feel seen in these other ways made it a great experience.

I highly recommend this book and entire series. They can technically be read as standalones, but they're all fantastic, so I suggest reading them all in order.

I've read the first book a few times. It's one of my favorite comfort reads. And I know this one will become one as well. It's absolutely one I will revisit in the future!
Good Points
- Fun adventure story
- Siblings growing to care for one another
- Realistic mental health representation
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account