Review Detail

Packs Emotional Punch
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Lisa McMann has hit her stride with Dangerous Allies, book four of the Forgotten Five series. The Forgotten Five and their friends mature a lot in this book as they face one emotional revelation after another. Paired with exciting fast-paced action this book was unputdownable.
Troy Cordoba has risked everything to run away from President Fuerte and wants to join Lada. It is quite a shock when he realizes all the children, including his son, are with Lada. His path to redemption is not easy and Tenner faces many emotions having his abusive father trying to join their ranks.
Seven is also struggling with his feelings as the team gets a person on his mother’s Presidential team. Magdalia was neglectful of him as a child so when she announces she is adopting a boy that is close to his age it is like a physical blow to him. He is not ready to reconnect with her even though it may help the team advance their plans.
Lada was able to get a few of Fuerte’s supers to ally with them. E-Kat is new to their team and the cliffhanger big reveal about her past will cause quite a stir in the next book.
As the children get stronger with their powers they are faced with new challenges. Birdie has accidentally killed someone with her wasps and now she is wanted by the police. The older children are realizing the consequences of their actions and that while they think of themselves as the good guys, others see them as villains. It has them questioning their parent's actions who they have always thought of as “the bad parents”. This leads to themes of equality, persecution, and prejudice regarding people who have supernatural powers that could be transferred to discussions about other vulnerable populations in the real world.
Overall, the third book has not been released yet but I need the fourth book. I could not put this book down and was willing to stay up late in the night to finish it in a single day, so that is my standard for a high recommendation. I like that time was spent developing these characters and focusing on their emotions and emerging maturity as well as the action.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account