Middle Grade Fiction 567
A Quirky Tale
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Charlie Hernández is involved in another quirky tale when a calaca comes to him with a mystery to investigate. With his friends and family's help, they uncover what the Golden Dooms are, what happened to missing people, and why there are so many roosters suddenly around the neighborhood. Whenever Charlie is surprised or the danger mounts, I like his references to pop culture from my childhood.
His relationship with Violet develops into the official title of boyfriend and girlfriend with all its awkward glory of figuring out they like each other and taking the risk of asking.
Charlie’s cousin Raul comes to stay with his family. He ends up having special talents as well that come in handy as they are evading danger. I like that his mother and best guy friends finally have a role in the action. Given how close he is to them I hope they continue to have a bigger role to play in the story in the future.
Overall, this was an enjoyable read with many quirky twists in the plot. I look forward to the next book in the series.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account