Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I actually had my neice read this book before I did. She absolutely adored it. Couldn't get enough of it. Wanted to read every book in the series, as quickly as she could get her hands on them.

That pretty much covers it right there. This is a great book for girls ages 8 - 12. The three heroines are three very different girls so that any girl can find someone to identify with.

The primary character in this first novel is Emily, the healer. She loves animals and helps her mother out with her veterinary practice. Adriane is the outsider who doesn't trust anyone and lives on an animal reservation with her grandmother. Kara is the last to join the group--and reluctantly at that. She's the popular girl and is a bit (!) spoiled and snobby, especially at first.

They discover strange and mysterious creatures at the Ravenswood Wildlife Preserve and a magical portal. The creatures, including a funny elf who finds himself in the body of a ferret (no explanation why, but it makes for some funny scenes), are escapees from another world. Ozzy, the ferret/elf was sent to find 3 mages (the girls).

My favorite character might actually be the one who never really said a word -- Phel. A huge, magical purple being who can heal the wounded, give inspiration, and even fly, Phel is truly a wonder.

The immediate danger in this first book is the potential closure of the Preserve if the girls don't do something. I won't tell you how it ends, but I will say that they manage to pull together despite their initial distrust.

I heartily recommend this book for fantasy-loving girls.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account